In general, laboratory equipment tries to replicate real world processes on a smaller laboratory scale. At the beginning of 20th century, it was this kind of laboratory equipment that produced the first bitumen emulsion. The majority of bitumen emulsion production methods are based on bitumen being emulsified in water. In the laboratory environment it is realized by the following methods:
- blade mixer;
- colloid mill; and
- combined methods.
GlobeCore has developed and produces the UVB-1L laboratory unit that can be used at laboratories and scientific research institutes engaged in bitumen materials production. This laboratory unit is designed to develop and test bitumen emulsion formulations and to produce laboratory samples of bitumen emulsion.
The operation of such equipment is based on bitumen being grinded down between a rotor and a stator in a colloid mill with a gap of only one half millimeter (0.5 mm).
The use of such a high quality and precision a colloid mill allows for the production of a highly stable and consistent product that is not always possible when using conventional blade mixers and ultrasound vibration systems.
The following is a list of advantages using the GlobeCore UVB-1L unit:
- quality control of the samples obtained;
- testing of bitumen emulsion formulations before large scale production;
- production of experimental cationic and anionic bitumen emulsions with a maximum capacity of twenty liters (20 l/min.);
- studying the modifications of the material, added with different modifying additives;
- may be supplied separately or as a component of bitumen-emulsion production units;
- semi-automatic mode;
- development of new bitumen emulsion formulations to meet the needs of individual clients;
- trouble-free operation; and
- consultation and training of operational staff.